It's a 2005 Yukon XL with the 5.3 and a 4L60. The 5.3 is going in the truck, the 4L60 will be sold to fund a 4L80, the rest of it will be parted out.
First order of business was to find out if it has a 24x or 58x reluctor, this will determine what kind of wiring harness I need and what kind of ECU. I jacked the truck up and crawled under it, but the starter is blocking the view from below.
I tried looking through the passenger wheel well but you can't quite get a good angle on it.
I tried from the top but the exhaust manifold was blocking my view.
Then I remembered I had impulse bought a borescope on woot a couple of years ago. It was still in the hard case behind my desk. I broke it out and started digging for batteries.
It even works!
Not exactly HD, but I'm still pretty sure this is a black connector, meaning I have the 24x reluctor, which is what I thought it likely would have.
Now to decide on a stock ECU with HP Tuners or a Megasquirt.
Finally got to work on the truck a little. Decided it would be a good idea to install my window regulator so my driver side window rolls up. Here's what I started with.
I took roughly 1848729373 little phillips head screws out, removing all of them except one. This one. The very last screw. The one toward the rear of the door inside the little arm rest pad.
I tried to drill it out and the drill bit snapped off in the screw without hesitation. I decided to poke around by pulling the door panel back and noticed I could get it off if I took off the two 11mm bolts holding this metal bracket on. So that's what I did.
I'll deal with that bastard screw later.
Neat, part numbers!
That got me to here:
I taped up the window so it wouldn't fall and started taking more bolts out.
I got my new window cranks, unfortunately I didn't get my window regulator, so I couldn't really do a whole lot with them. They look shiny though!
As much as I love my Miata, I've been seriously craving some V8 power lately. I briefly considered doing a V8 swap on the Miata, but I didn't want to be without a fun car for a year while I took it all apart and did the swap.
After a little bit of research I settled on the idea of a LSx series engine with a turbo, but I still didn't know what I wanted to put it in. I considered the old RWD Volvo wagons and E34 5 series BMW's, but ultimately I stumbled across a thread on a message board about the older Chevy Trucks. That got the ball rolling. I set up a craigslist alert, posted a want ad, and scoured eBay. I finally hit on an 82 short wheelbase 2wd chevy truck with a very straight body. Here are the pics from the ad:
After a couple of weeks of negotiation I picked it up last Friday and drove it back to the shop from Forrest City, Arkansas.
Interior is a little rough, and the 350 in it is running rich as hell, but all I really wanted was a nice straight body, and it definitely has that. So far I've ordered some suspension stuff to lower it and replace the ancient shocks on it. I'm gonna try to get that done next weekend, along with maybe a rear disc conversion.
I'm also going to try and actually document this build on my website, instead of posting a shitty update once every three months. We'll see how that goes.